My Previous Portfolio
My Updated Portfolio
Why did I change?
I decided to change portfolios because I realized that my old portfolio was linked to my student Adobe account, as it is an Adobe Portfolio site. This means that when it comes to after my studies, I will lose all of my work and the portfolio. Also, there were not a lot of free templates and I didn’t feel like the portfolio represented me as a brand.
I looked into many different options for website hosting and creation such as WordPress, Squarespace, Go Daddy and Wix. I also researched the best website builders in 2021.
As you can see from all 3 sources, Wix was definitely the most popular.
I was very torn between WordPress and Wix because I started to use it for free using them both to compare.
For my portfolio I want to create a showreel that is featured on my portfolio, therefore I was trying to find the best way to incorporate video into the site.
The reasons I decided to stay with Wix instead of WordPress:
- Personal preference, I just preferred the ease and usability from Wix.
- Familiarity. I have used Wix in the past for free site projects and creating a store for my designs.
- Can upload videos not Youtube links with ads. (Beneficial for my showreel).
- Cheaper and easier to use.
- I found WordPress very fiddly and awkward and I struggled to get the designs the way I wanted.
I decided to pay for a domain and a premium site because not only was there an offer for 50% off but also it made my brand look more professional and hopefully would advance the process for looking for jobs over the next year.
I also applied for the No Hidden Costs Fund to see if some of the costs could be covered for the project.